Sunday, August 15, 2010

Independence Day

Aug 15th - Today is the Indian Independence Day. When I was a kid, Independence day made me happy as we get a holiday and even if we go to school there is this excitement about flag hoisting and receiving chocolates. Other than that, Independence or for that matter any National holiday never made any difference to me. And I ask why should it make any difference? And I am pretty sure many of you agree with me even though you may not say it loud.

I was always intrigued by the line - "I love my country". When people say it, do they really mean it? And what does it mean when you say "Happy Independence Day". How is Aug 15th different from Aug 14th or 16th or for that matter any other day in a calendar year except that we get a holiday? And this year Aug 15th falls on a Sunday and I am sure many people who say 'Happy Independence Day' are not so happy about it as they miss a holiday. And on top of that some of them may need to go to office on Sunday just to hoist a flag adding to the unhappiness of missing a holiday. So, what does 'Happy Independence Day' mean? Why is someone happy about it? What difference did it make being free from British rule? We still follow British education system. We still follow British Parliamentary system. We Indians treat Cricket (which again invented by Britishers) as the game of the nation leaving aside our own National game 'Hockey'. And when it comes to Soccer, we religiously follow English Premier League and don't even care about our own soccer team. And above all we use the name 'India' which was given by Britishers. So, what difference did it make being free from Britishers?

Coming to my initial question, when someone says "I love my country" - Do they really mean it? If so, what's the meaning of it? A country is an abstract thing which cannot be defined. History says that India itself was not one country but a group of different countries that were fighting against each other. And then it became one country to fight against Britishers and then again it was separated into two different countries which are being considered rivals till date. So, I am not the one who is deciding what I should love but I am being told that I should love something just because some politicians up there decided that this is my country. And tomorrow if they divide this country, Should I limit my love based on the boundaries created by some politicians? I don't think it makes much sense.

A country is nothing but a group of people. And so is your neighboring country and for that matter any country in the world. We all share a planet and our own mother earth does not differentiate between countries and does not care about the boundaries set by a few people. As we move towards globalization, we need to learn and understand the fact that every war in history of mankind was an attempt to conquer these imaginary boundaries and once you start limiting yourself to these boundaries there will always be conflicts and wars. We should try to rise above these boundaries and above these limitations that were set and were imbibed into us right from our school days. We always encourage people to say that - "Before I belong to a state, I am an Indian". I say - Why can't we encourage the fact that we all belong to single entity - Mother Earth before we are recognized as the citizen of some country.

Loving your mother, loving your neighbors, loving the place where you were born, loving the place where you live is important. It helps you to strive for the development of the surroundings where you live. Love your parents. Love your soldiers who are fighting for you to protect your home. Love your farmers who provide food to you. Love your each and everyone who made your life easier. Love your country. There is nothing wrong in it. But the love for your country or for that matter the love for anything should not make you develop hatred towards others. Try to love people irrespective of which part of the earth they come from. Remember that the thing you call "country" is just defined by a few boundaries and your love can have no boundaries. Celebrate the Independence of fellow human beings from slavery. Always remember before you are a citizen of a country, first you are a human being.

I wish everyone who is celebrating the victory over tyranny, oppression and slavery a Happy Independence Day.

-Venks

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home