Friday, March 5, 2010

What's the Point ?

The difference between work and hard work is that work is what you do to achieve something and hard work is when you don’t enjoy the process. My question is - What's the point in working or trying to achieve something if you don’t enjoy the process of doing it?

Let me tell you a story...

I like travelling. More than a hobby, it's my passion. Recently I went to visit San Francisco. On the day of my traveling, my flight got cancelled. I called my airlines and they told me that they don't have any flight to take me to my destination for another two days. I cancelled my booking, booked another flight from Charlotte on the same day and drove down to Charlotte (which is like 150 miles from my place). When I reached Charlotte, I found that my flight got delayed. And because of that I missed my connection flight in Atlanta. To add to my frustration, there was no flight available to San Francisco till the next day evening. So, I had to wait for 24 hours in Atlanta cribbing, cursing and blaming the airlines, weather and everyone responsible for this mess. After 24 hours when I got a chance to fly, my flight again got delayed.

Finally when I reached San Francisco, I was not happy. Somehow I felt that my vacation has been deliberately ruined by someone though its no fault of anyone. I went around and visited all the places I wanted to. But still in the back of my mind, I had that feeling that this did not go well.

And within 48 hours I am back in the airport for my return journey. As if someone did some black magic on me, my flight from San Francisco got delayed and I missed my connecting flight in Dallas. By this time, I was really tired and completely devastated. And finally when I reached home in the evening, I was almost in tears. My trip was extended from three days to four days and I had to take a leave for no reason. I spent more time in airport or flights than where I wanted to spend - San Francisco.

After a few days when I was going through the pictures of my vacation to San Francisco, I started thinking of what went wrong and how I could have made it better. Every difficulty provides an opportunity. Many of us tend to forget it or chose to ignore it. Whenever we face something which we cannot handle, we just feel helpless. We tend to go into depression. We blame ourselves and others even though none of them or us has anything to do with it. Instead of focusing on what we cannot handle, if we can try to focus on how we can make something out of it, we can always find means and ways to get over with the impossible situation we are in. Always remember - Every difficulty provides an opportunity and there is no exception to this rule.

What I should have done? Instead of whining, cribbing and blaming myself, others and everyone I could have gone out and explored what Atlanta or Dallas has to offer. I like traveling. I like visiting new places. When I had the opportunity to explore Dallas or Atlanta which I have never visited, I was sitting in the airport depressed and dejected. Why? One - I completely forgot that every difficulty provides an opportunity. Two - My focus was completely on San Francisco. I was thinking of ways to go to San Francisco and I ignored the opportunities given to me.

Opportunities arise if you stop, look around and think instead of simply focusing only on the goal. You should be flexible enough to understand that it is OK to fail, It is OK if you cannot able to reach your goal. It is OK if you are being delayed or being given hard time in reaching your destination. I know a lot of people who work long hours, day and night. They want to earn money so that they can be happy or keep their family happy. But, what's the point if you don't take some time for your family or your well wishers or at least for yourself for whom you are earning money? What's the point in rushing through the herd if you cannot wait for your friends or family to catch up with you? What's the point in focusing on something when you can find better ways if only you can stop and look around you?

You should have a goal in life. It helps you in organize your life. It gives you a sense of direction. Without a goal, I would not know where to go or which flight to catch. It's very important to have a goal. But, my point here is - Never focus on something so much so that you miss some precious things on your way. Nothing is more worth than taking a break, having a sip of coffee and spending some time for yourself. Always remember - Every difficulty provides an opportunity. Never let your goal or destination make you ignore those opportunities or make you miss those small moments of happiness.

As someone aptly said - There’s no such thing as achievement for the simple reason that as soon as you achieve it, its boring. It’s the run towards it is what is exciting.

Cheers,
Venky

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home